Well, i was invited here by Corgers over the RMS forums to gice some Impressions, Insight and Brainz.
well, here i go. remember this is a complete subjective point of view.
short info 'bout me:
37 Years old big, fat german (1.90, 110 kg), Playing RO since it was released for the international playerbase. Played official euRO from the first week until the minute it was closed down in 2010, played pServers ever since (still pissed at gravity that they closed euRO).
i almost exclusively played renewal lowrate (1x ~ 10x) servers since it was introduced, and hence it has quite some differences, some things haven't changed at all.
well, that's all about me (oh, one last thing: due my german heritage i might sound harsh/unfriendly most of the time. don't take it personally. we germans tend to not sugarcoat anything: if something's good. we tell you. if something sucks: we tell you. honestly. and in the most professional way.)
1.) Overall Impression
for short: good. the custom quests for headgears and other stuff is quite nice to have: no OP items, hence i haven't checked the valhalla trial items yet.
the idea of "Verus" being a wind-based endgame content similar to thors volcano is very appealing, i just wished there was something like that based on water and earth to complete the 4 base elements. who knows? maybe this would be some future idea for more diverse gameplay...
also the random enchantments of some gears is quite appealing; some way to min/max equipments is something RO only got in the recent years.
2.) Equipability / rates
well, due the quite high overall rates it's not too difficult to get decent equipment. also as stated above: the availiability of some usually-cash-shop-equips by quest is very nice. also not too easy or too hard to get.
only manko i see: the droprates. as i once stated to corgers: any droprate besides cards should never ever be below half of the exp-rate.
it's quite a bit odd that actually the carddrop-rate of all matches the exp-rates, but everything else is WAY less than that. this makes it even more grind-heavy than RO already is; it's a midrate server after all, and droprates should reflect that. if i wanted to play low rates and grind for days and weeks for something, i'd go there.
another small issue: hence corgers reduced the cost, doram equips still are too 'expensive' compared to ways you get em officially. especially when you consider the hard nerfs they got here (compared to the official renewal stats they have).
ok, here we go... this is something i have the most trouble with: the quite high imbalance of learnable 3rd class skills.
it's very obvious that some classes got favoured over other classes in the usefullness of their 3rd-class skills.
AssaX, Champ, LK and Sniper mostly got insane good skills, WS, HP and HW got some decent useful skills, and the whole rest of the classes got more or less utter rubbish.
let me break that down class by class (wrote already something similar to corgers):
- Venom impress: 30% more damage for 30 sec. i'll take it.
- Cross Impact: gives some decent burst dmg with non-katar weaps. great skill
- hallu walk: increases the high assa-flee even more. very useful
- Rolling Cutter: WAY better than meteor assault: no casttime and better damage per SP
- cloaking exceed: somewhat useful: only boss mobs see you in PvM.
conclusion: quite powerful in PvM and PvP
Champ: very powerful.
- Sky Net Blow: spammable high DpS AoE. even the knockback can be very useful
- Lighntning ride: high DpS, if you team up with a bragi-bard, you win.
- Earth Shaker: Huge AoE, even with the extended CD quite strong.
- Lions howl: like Earth shaker: huge AoE, even with the extended CD strong.
- Cursed Circle: quite good in PvP, also even with the high cooldown.
conclusion: DpS-monster. lightning ride needs higher CD
- Reverberation: quite a decent skill, no idea how it is in pre-renewal due the different matk-calculation.
- dominion implse: lvl 5? it's like hunter's detonate trap a 1 level skill for Reverberations.
- Severe Rainstorm: the counterpart to your snipers Arrowstorm, so at least they have an AoE skill to lvl now.
- Metallic sound: barely seen someone using it in renewal. might be good in pre-re due different formula
- song of despair: basically a weaker version of ancle snare, not that great for the short duration
conclusion: too much focus on damage instead of inherited support role. Y NO MORE SONGS?
creator: meh (why everone hates em?)
- cart remodeling: useless with only lvl 1. doesn't add much dmg to cart tornado or cart cannon.
- cart tornado: laughable. noone uses it in renewal because of the very poor damage-formula that actually uses str, and genetics /creas usually don't put much str (when i use a maxed genetic in renewal i barely have more than 20-30 str, 1 on crea) the damage-boost from cart remodeling also is useless due it directly relates to said non-existing strength.
- Cart cannon: great skill- but not on lvl 1. usually the to-go skill for every genetic to lvl because it gets dmg from int like acid demo. but lvl 1? not worth the efford to get that skill. lvl 3-4 would be reasonable.
- Blood sucker: nice to troll in PvP. in PvM useless.
- thorn wall: only real useful skill crea's get, even with the expensive catalist.
conclusion: not worth the efford getting these.
- Judex: similar to holy light with AoE effect. useful in similat occasions (so to say: barely due poor dmg-formula).
- Adoramus: basically a single-target version of magnus exorcismus with decent damage-potential. useful.
- Clementina/Cantocand.: better AoE versions of Blessing and agi up: great especially in bigger parties.
- Coluceo Heal: AoE heal with high CD. somewhat useful.
conclusion: good as it is.
High wizz: mediocre.
- white imprison: too high Cooldown in my PoV. 10s would be good with the only 5 sec effect.
- soul expansion: 3x3 AoE 'soulstrike'. even with the CD okish (might be underperforming)
- Comet: debattable. i personally barely use that skill due the high CD and laughable damage for the SP needed.
- Crimson Rock: great DpS, even with the high CD
- Drain life: good. the high CD is ok in my eyes.
conclusion: okish, maybe some CD-tweaking needed.
- 100spears: with the right spear devastating: counterpart to spiral pierce. CD makes it somewhat balanced.
- Ignition Break: strong AoE, but the high CD balances it. (no IB/BB/IB/BB spam. phew.)
- Phantom thrust: useless. barely even used in renewal, except to troll party members.
- DB lvl 10? ouch. with the right equips it's insanely strong. no increased CD here? hm...
- sonic wave: i personally barely use it. but can be very strong. guess the high CD makes out for it.
conclusion: very high DpS potential.
Paladin: mostly useless.
- Cannon Spear: mostly useless. barely any RG uses it due the high CD. usually vanishing point and Overbrand is used.
- Pinpoint: lvl 1? absurd. useless in PvE, and only higher levels used in PvP, but with only lvl 1 not worth the efford.
- Earth drive: shield breaks way too often, damage depends on shield-weight and is forced earth ele. useless in PvP where most wear fire armor. might be considerable in verus when the shield is heavy enough.
- Kings Grace lvl 1? barely useful. the high CD removes any usefullness under any circumstances.
- shield press: stronger version of shield charge with no knockback. barely used it in renewal. no idea if worth it here.
conclusion: mostly useless skills comnpared to other classes.
- Psychic wave: good skill- on lvl 5. on lvl 3 it's just somewhat useful.
- summons: in renewal most profs only go for ventus due the passive fixed casttime reduction. maybe in PvP the others have some use for endowing psychic wave, but on the other hand, prof in WoE is barely a DD and focusses on support/debuff.
- elemental control/action: mandatory for the spirits, so more or less useful. depends if you use em.
- spirit cure: crap. noone uses it when just resummon it is less dangerous than sacrificing own HP for the spirit.
conclusion: there are more useful skills, especially for partyplay/buff+debuff.
Sniper: very powerful.
- Arrow storm: lvl 10? seriously? one of the highest burst-AoE's in renewal? even without rangers WW-equipset it's strong for basically free. the 10s cooldown isn't that big of an issue. 15s would be more appropriate.
- Fear breeze: gives basically free sidewinder-card effect, very strong with sniper's usually high aspd, adding up to 30% DpS.
- Camouflage: everyone just thinks it's some fancy version of hide- and forgets the cumulative 30 atk-boost it gets each second camouflaged. free 300 atk for an AS volley? i take it.
- Detonator: the only useless skill here due it can't detonate other players traps. useless in PvP, in PvE? maybe in thors 2 to clean up the traps if it works on mobs.
- aimed bolt: also some insane damageskill. ancle snare -> amied bolt might oneshot almost each player in PvP that doesn't have 70-80% reductions, even with only lvl 1.
conclusion: OP compared to many other 3rd class skills.
Stalker: quite weak. (tbh, i don't like playing stalkies. too annoying to level. anyway.)
- triangle shot: lvl 5 is just mediocre. Doublestrafe is spammable has higher DpS. kinda useless.
- Body Painting: i'd go for a horong card, easier to obtain. useless in my eyes, hence the debuffs might be useful in PvP/WoE.
- manhole: troll skill. only lvl 1 with lower duration and higher CD? not worth the efford except you're bored.
- maelstom: mini-LP/ganbatein. the nerfs makes it basically useless.
- feintbomb: fancy version of backsline. not worth the efford due nerfs and poor dmg formula.
conclusion: only one somewhat useful skill, rest is underperforming/useless compared to other 3rd class skills.
- FAW Silversniper: pretty underperforming in renewal, but i think it's pretty good at any lvl in pre-re. good skill
- FAW removal: debattable. why should i remove a FAW except maybe an enemy one in WoE? only reason to get it. why lvl 5? it's like minstel's dominion impulse a 1-level-skill....
- Lava flow: good skill, maybe lvl 2 would be good, but lvl 1 is ok in pre-renewal.
- Axe Boom: lvl 1 is meh. to be on par with other 3rd class skills i'd recommend lvl 4-5.
- Axe tornado: was absolute crap in renewal, but i guess in pre-re it's quite good.
conclusion: good, might need a bit tweaking.
don't forget: i was majorly a renewal-player the last couple of years, and i know those skills from using/not using em in 'natural habitat', not just from looking up the stats/formulae from iroWiki. thus i can say: it's very imbalanced, even if you consider each jobs role in endgame.
that's all so far